Friday, March 31, 2006

The immigration Question

Prompted by Clashing Symbols post, I thought I'd post this poem, which I always think of whenever the immigration question comes up. The New Colossus Emma Lazarus (1849-1887) "Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame..." Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, With conquering limbs astride from land to land; Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame. "Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" If I were to list the criteria that seem to me necessary for US citizenship, I think, other than the usual safety issues, I would have only one: Do you believe in the American Dream? Do you believe that every man, no matter what race, what religion, what parentage, deserves the chance to stand on his own two feet and say, "I cultivated this land. I made it bring forth the food that feeds my children. I tamed the wild and put it to my service. I stood shoulder to shoulder with the children of my forefathers enemies, and together we have made this land our own, a land of promise -- a land of hope." We live a privileged life, we Americans, such as only the few most wealthy and privileged have ever had in centuries past -- we live this life, and yet even in its privilege we become dull-witted and wish for our old bondage. "We had food to eat back in Egypt, Moses!" If I were in charge .... Citizenship is not a right but a privilege. If I were in charge, I would teach people that -- teach them to love their country again, to love what it promises and the hope it provides. I ask one thing of immigrants -- that they love the American Dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home