Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Metaphysics

Sapientiae Amator and I have been having a rambunctious discussion here and here about God's will and whether God is in any way the cause of sin. While these conversations are fruitful in one way, I often find them unfruitful in another. Of course, it is important to know that God is all powerful, all knowing, all loving, and so forth, and it is a great boon, it seems to me, to the spiritual life, to see clearly how much He does love you. But when I get into these conversations, I find that I become angry and anxious. I lie awake at night, thinking about the argument; I can't concentrate when others are talking to me about their day or the problems they are facing; I don't do my other work. Worst of all, I begin thinking about God as an object. God is not an object. God is not in a genus. God is not a substance. God is not a being amongst beings. God is beyond substance, beyond being: God lives in the cloud of unknowing. Who indeed can speak of God? I always feel in these discussions like I am being unjust to God, that I am acting in an extraordinarily presumptuous way, and that I in fact am drawing away from God rather than drawing towards Him. I know that many of the reasons for this are personal and bad -- I am selfish, I want to win the argument, etc. But I also think that these discussions lend themselves to the objectification of God. God is made immanent in speech. This has led me to realize the wisdom of God regarding the manner in which the Bible is written. The Bible is mostly composed of stories, and those parts which are didactic point back, as I see it, to the stories as the ground and source of their truth. This has the wonderful rhetorical effect of making God present, not as an object for us to master as well as we can, but as a person (or three -- I don't know how to talk about this) who is the most lovable of all things and who loves us, every one of us, more than we could possibly know. I therefore believe that for us fallen and short-sighted beings, the Bible is written in the best manner possible, not simply because those who have difficulty in understanding abstruse philosophy can see the divine truths in stories with greater ease, but also because it's mode of writing is most conducive to helping us thing about God as a person and not as an object. [I suppose the theological ground for this post is that for us in this life, loving God is the highest perfection we can achieve.]

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Simone said...

Not simply because it is the best mode but because it is the only mode. God enters history and reveals Himself because we are historical beings who cannot see spirit.

Calvin actually calls Scripture Divine "baby talk" for man, it is a Divine condescention not unlike Christ Himself.

11:37 AM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger windmilltilter said...

When we talk of God's will, do we mean what he wishes to happen or what he causes to happen? To say that these are the same thing, because everything God wishes consequently occurs, or said another way, everything that occurs is according to God's will, seems, while true, a dodge. I think whatever happens may be in accordance with God's permissive will, ("in accidens" I think you philosophers called it)and yet not be what he "wished". Otherwise, we might get caught saying that he didn't will for us to fall, and yet he willed us to fall, and mean "will" in the same way. So i guess what exactly do you mean by "will" when talking of God? ( i know you guys have hashed this out quite a bit, and much of it was over my head, so if this is an irrelevant post, or covers ground you already covered, ignore it..

2:04 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger Sapientiae Amator said...

In that case, I apologize. On my part, I find the opposite to be true, which is why I'm fond of saying that philosophy is the most practical discipline. Perhaps I shouldn't comment on this issue further on your blog (although I might on my own blog).

2:09 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger Andrew Simone said...

Incidentally, clarity does not always mean possesing truth.

2:30 PM, March 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home