Monday, August 09, 2010

1st Day!

Well, it started a bit rough, but it got better. I'm teaching 4 classes, but I only have one prep, so by 6th period I had it down. I need to reestablish my ethos, however, with my first class (2nd period). I'm afraid they think I'm a bit weird. {Melissa says, big surprise, you are weird.}

I, however, have already had the defining moment of my year. In my last class, one student suggested that a line was nothing more than an infinite collection of points. Almost immediately, another student raised his hand and said, "How can it be that a something with dimension could be built out of things which have no dimension?" It was spontaneous -- I had nothing to do with it. But it was the perfect question at the perfect moment. "There is a philosopher amongst us."

2 Comments:

Blogger alder tree said...

Hilarious.

7:24 AM, August 12, 2010  
Blogger Chris said...

Mike, er, Whiskey. I just rediscovered your blog and am happy to see that it is in use -- or at least wanted to be 2 months ago. Keep it up! Football picks, anyone?

8:07 PM, October 11, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home