Friday, September 11, 2009

I remember ...

I was in California; it was the beginning of my senior year at Thomas Aquinas College. I had gotten up early to serve mass, and a friend came in and said that a plane has crashed into the twin towers, and would Father keep them in his intentions for the mass. I passed the news on to Father, and remember being distracted all through mass, wondering what had happened. At the time I imagined it was just a small private plane; I had no sense of the scope of what was happening.

When mass was over I had a quick breakfast and hurried over to Fr. Borden's place (we weren't allowed to have TVs, but we could always watch TV at Father's). I got there in time to see the 1st tower fall. It was horrid. I was sick to my stomach. I don't ever remember experiencing anything like that before or since. It's corny, but in the first Star Wars, when Alderan is destroyed, Obi Wan says it was like a million voices screamed, and then were all silenced. That's what I felt. I felt their death.

God have mercy on us all. God, forgive us our trespasses, and help us to forgive those who have trespassed against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

From the Evil one. From the evil ones who hate us. From the evil within us.

For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever.
Amen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Beautifully done. Amen.

9:57 AM, September 12, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home